Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Little (Coupon) Knowledge Goes a Long Way

I'm Baaaaack!  I didn't mean to abandon my blog completely but I worked another job over the holidays and was very busy, no time to write!  I also did not score very many deals to share with you since I was too busy to clip coupons and shop around, so I am making up for it.

Inspired by the blogs I follow where readers share their recent supermarket "scores," I thought I would show you what I recently purchased at World Market.  If you are not familiar with World Market, they sell gourmet food, wine, furniture, kitchen items, gifty things and basically things from all over the world.  They also have a rewards program called the "Explorer" program, which is like having a rewards card from your neighborhood grocery chain or drugstore where you earn points and get special pricing.  The only difference is that they don't have a card, you just enter your member number into the keypad with each purchase (your phone number) and that is how purchases are tracked.  Then you have to print off the coupons at home and bring them in.  This fall they had a promotion where you earn 10% of all of your purchases (starting at $100 minimum) in November and December and you get a "reward" certificate to use in January. 

So, I went into the store armed with my $18 reward, a coupon for $10 off of a $30 purchase and a coupon for free coffee.  You earn a bag of World Market coffee after you buy 6 bags, BUT if you buy them on Wednesday you get double points.  AND if you redeem your free coffee coupon on Wednesday you get double points for that one too (even though it is free).  Try it, you'll see.  The cashier first tried to tell me I couldn't use all my coupons in one transaction but it does work.  I asked her to try it and see and she learned something new, too.

I fully intended on picking out $30 worth of stuff and only paying $2, plus tax, but I miscalculated and I was overcharged for an item that was supposed to be 50% off.  I shopped the food area, since I thought food would be the most justifiable purchase (we like to eat).  I ended up paying just $8.84 for about $44 worth of food, some of which were specialty items that are hard to find elsewhere.
Here is what I got:
2 bags of Hawaiian Luau Kettle Chips, regularly 3.99 but on sale for 1.99---------- .46 each after coupons
2 bags of World Market Coffee, regularly 5.99 each--------------------1 Free with coupon and 1 for 1.38  (but they will count like I bought 4 bags of coffee towards my next free bag!)
1 Box of Market Classic Stuffing, reg 3.99 but on sale for $2------------------------.46 after coupons
1 Bag Market Classic Tortellini Soup mix, reg 3.99----------------------------------.92 after coupons
1 Lee Kum Kee Sauce for Orange Chicken, reg 2.99--------------------------------.69 after coupons
1 Bowl Shirakiku Udon Soup, reg 3.49----------------------------------------------.80 after coupons
1 Bag Utz Butter Pretzels, reg 2.99, should have been half off but rang up wrong-----.69 after coupons
1 Jar Tiger Tiger Chicken Tikka Simmer Sauce, reg 3.99----------------------------.92 after coupons
1 Jar Tiger Tiger Butter Chicken Simmer Sauce, reg 3.99----------------------------.92 after coupons
1 Box of Dari Couscous, reg 2.99---------------------------------------------------.70 after coupons

The way the coupon works is it pro-rates the discount off of each item.  I knew the pretzels rang up wrong but if I had gone back and returned the item I would have been credited only .69 plus tax and would have lost the value saved from the coupon, so since I didn't have it taken off right there at the register I was just out of luck.  (Another inside tidbit I know.)

Here are the reviews so far:  Love the chips, and 2 out of 3 kids liked them.  The pretzels were good (and are gone now).  I ate the Udon soup today for lunch and it was really good, it has packets of fish flakes and veggie flakes and the liquid soy sauce is separate, tastes as good as Udon in the restaurant!  The coffee we use regularly, I have tried several flavors but stick with breakfast blend because we get tired of the flavors.

The Tiger Tiger sauces are awesome!  I tried the Butter Chicken once and it was great, haven't tried the Chicken Tikka yet.  When we had the Butter Chicken my youngest (3 year old) son asked what we were having and I told him "Indian food" and he said, "But Indians eat corn!" and so I changed tactics and told him it was like Chinese food.  So for days he talked about how much he liked that "Chinese Meat!"  He will be happy to know we are having that "chinese meat" again.  (Hint:  Use lots of rice to make it less spicy for the little ones.)

The other items I haven't tried yet but I am sure they are worth at least what little I paid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment